in Programming

Grease released

It’s been a year and a half since I’ve mentioned it here, but I’ve just made a general release of Grease. As you can see, it now comes with it’s own nifty website. In the next few weeks, I hope to release a Chocolatey package for it as well. I’m going to wait until Google stops saying this site distributes malware before I release that, though. (As a side note: aren’t the google webmaster tools awesome?)

This release has been a long time coming. There hasn’t been a lot of development on the software, but it hasn’t needed it. I’ve made a few performance tweaks, and there are a few more things I have in mind that should help the app start faster. I’ll probable be posting on those as I get them implemented.

I did have to go through philosophical transition. Grease has always been created to be simple. When I first started writing it, I did so with the specific purpose of not introducing features that I didn’t need and would just create bloat. I think I’ve achieved exactly what I was looking for. A few months ago, though, I received a pull request from someone on github. They had added a number of things, like the ability to change from random to ordered, and had made a few UI tweaks. I accepted the pull request, but when using the app, discovered that it really had lost what I was aiming for. Tonight I removed those additions and returned the project to it’s original aims. In the future, I will probably only be aiming for performance tweaks, especially when dealing with large libraries.

If this kind of app interests you and you find it useful, please let me know! You can reach me on twitter @charlesj.

Write a Comment